FLARED - Real-time Lens Flare Add-on for Blender
Flared is a real-time lens flare generator add-on that works directly in the viewport of Blender, using Eevee engine.
You can have a direct preview of the final result without the need to use the compositor. It's not screen space-based, so it works also when light sources move out of the screen. It takes advantage of procedural materials and it's resolution-independent. It's easy to use and customize and can help you to add cinematic looks to your 3D scenes or give more drama to your real video footage. Flared it's not a physical simulation of the light path through the lens, it's a powerful artistic instrument.
– Flared is a simple add-on for Blender 2.81 (or higher).
– It is completely real-time, as it adds to your scene the 3D elements that compose the flare.
– It’s based on 3D elements and procedural textures, so it’s resolution-independent.
– It’s very easy to use: select a camera, select a light source (or more sources), add a flare, play with its sliders and save your presets (to recall them in other projects).
– It’s not screen space-based, so it works also when the source is out of the screen space.
– It has 9 templates with different characteristics. We add new templates as soon as we can.
– For each template, you have different sliders. You can adjust the dimension and the emission values of the different elements that compose the flare, and the number of elements too.
– Each flare needs to have at least a camera and a light source (the light source could be an object or a light).
– You can create as many flares as you want, there’s no limit (it depends only on your hardware).
– You can use keyframes on each slider, to animate your light.
– Flared lets you add lens dirt effect to your camera
– To simulate the occlusion behind objects, you’ll have to add keyframes manually to the “Occlusion” value slider, which controls gradually the visibility of the flares. There’s no automation in this Video tutorial.
- There are known strange behaviors when combining Flared with DOF (this could cause the flares to get blurred) and with motion blur (the moving flares get blurred too). Instead, using Flared with volumetrics has no known issues.
– We’ll listen to our customers' requests, seek for bugs, and try to improve the add-on, updating it every time we will do a fix.
– We provide assistance only on the stable version of Blender. Please, don't use Flared for important works on alpha, beta, nightly, or other branches than the official one.
ADDING A FLARE FOR THE FIRST TIME
You can install the .zip file in Blender from Preference/Add-ons/Install... Select the .zip file, install and activate it. Then follow this video, that shows the use of the Octagonal Template.
HOW TO USE FLARED ON VIDEO FOOTAGE
Flared can add lens flares VFX on your real video (not only on 3D scenes and animations). Here is a video tutorial that shows how to do it.
HOW TO USE IT IN CYCLES
Flared natively works in Eevee. Anyway, there’s a trick that can be helpful to have it in Cycles too. Here is a video tutorial about that topic.
...about the use of the Presets, light Flickering effect, making the Flare disappear behind objects, hiding the Flares from the viewport, the characteristics of every single Template, advanced Flare editing to achieve different results, could be found in this Youtube Playlist.
10.10.2021 - Flared 1.7.1
- Fixed a bug related to flares made with old versions. When deleting them, it gave an error. Now it is fixed: you can delete flares made with old versions of Flared
09.10.2021 - Flared 1.7
- added a brand new "distance control" to set up how the far flares will be smaller than nearer ones
27.09.2021 - Flared 1.6.83
- now you can activate and deactivate each flare directly in the panel of Flared, using the "eye" icons. It works for render too. Thanks to our user "Nopi" for this suggestion
- into the Octagonal flare there was a single ghost that didn't react to the Ghost Scale slider. Now it's fixed
- when moving the flares on a new scenes in Eevee (while working in Cycles), Flared didn't copy the dimensions of the original scene to the new one in Eevee. Now it does
- with the 1.6.81 we introduced a new bug for mistake: when working in Cycles and moving the flare to the new scene in Eevee, the Cycles render failed because there were all the elements of the flare in the scene with a white shader. Now it's fixed and everything should work fine, like in the previous versions
28.08.2021 – Flared 1.6.81
Minor Bugs Fix:
– Solved some compatibility issue detected with Blender 2.93.x
– Solved other minor stability bugs that could cause crashes
12.02.2021 – Flared 1.6.79
Minor Bugs Fix:
– Solved a problem related to the deletion of corrupted flares (it could fail)
– Solved a minor bug that happened when the user changed manually the path of the pictures included in the addon
30.10.2020 – Flared 1.6.7 is now the official release
14.10.2020 – Flared 1.6.7 beta
– now you can set up your flares quickly into your Cycles scene, using a new function that will automatically create a linked scene that will be rendered and composited at the same time, while rendering the Cycles scene
– the Cycles support works with multicam too
– now you can select the flare directly in the viewport (clicking its source object) and the correct flare will automatically be selected in the Flared panel so that will be easy to modify the desired flare
03.07.2020 - Flared 1.6.1
Minor Bugs Fix:
- Octagonal Flared had an issue when used with active DOF on camera. And the ghosts didn't work with the Obstacle Occlusion slider.
- We also changed the code because Flared ran into trouble if the script were sourced from an alternate location.
17.08.2020 - Flared 1.6.5
- added multicam support. You can easily choose which flare will follow the active cam and which won’t
- added an option to move a flare on a New View Layer
- added a little thumbnail near the flare to help to recognize it
- now you can edit the flare initials
- changed the icon to select a flare (instead of the checkbox)
- changed the tooltips on mouseover to make all the functions more understandable
- the active flare is now automatically selected into the outliner and the viewport
- You'll get the .ZIP file ready to be installed into your Blender 2.81 or higher. Lots of video about how to use it in many different ways (in 3D scenes as in video footage). Lifetime license.
- Real-TimeThanks to EEVEE
- CustomizableYou can save your presets
- Easy to UseSimple Interface
- Add as many flares as you wantThe limit is only your hardware
- KeyframableEach value can have keyframes